Writing a Persuasive Essay
For this assignment, you will research a topic, choose a position, and write a paper that clearly supports one side of the argument, with the intent of challenging or changing a reader’s viewpoint. You will write a 3-5 page paper (not including the title page or references page) with 3-4 references used (paraphrased) to support your points. The aim or purpose of this essay is to clarify your position on your chosen topic/issue, develop that position deeply, and write an essay explaining your opinion in such a way that you challenge your reader to evaluate his or her own position. The underlying goal of the persuasive essay is to persuade the reader to agree with your position, and possibly to change his or her own position on the issue.
• A focused presentation of the issue. The writer presents the issue so the reader understands it. Issues need more or less explanation and examples, depending on what the audience already knows.
• A clear position. The thesis is positioned effectively, usually at the beginning or end of the essay, and repeated for emphasis and clarity as needed.
• Plausible reasons and convincing support. The writer must provide reasons for supporting the position. The writer must go beyond simply asserting reasons, by including examples, statistics, expert testimony, and/or anecdotes to support the reasons.
• Anticipating opposing position and objections. An effective argument for a position includes recognizing and refuting opposing arguments, as well as anticipating and answering a reader’s questions. You must clearly and objectively articulate the opposing position.
• Careful use of sources. Sources must be used and documented in APA format.
Questions to address as you write your Persuasive Essay:
• Purpose and audience: Does the writing meet the assignment requirements and engage the audience?
• Idea development: Is the topic appropriate, neither too broad nor too narrow? Is the writer’s position clear? Are the major reasons for support included, and are they clear and logical and specific? Are the reasons supported with convincing specific examples? Are opposing arguments recognized and countered?
• Organization: Does the title capture the central focus? Does the introduction capture attention, give necessary background and convey the position? Is the thesis clear? Is forecasting, if used, effective and clear? Do transitions and the overall organizational pattern provide a smooth flow? Does the conclusion provide a sense of closure and make the topic relevant to the reader (Is it more than just a summary)?
• Style: Are the sentence and word choices appropriate to a college essay? Are words vivid, exact and correct? Does the sentence structure add impact? Are sentences complete, smooth, clear, correct and efficient?
• Conventions: Are there few, if any, mistakes in following the conventions of Standard Written English?
• Citing Sources: Do the sources used provide reliable and adequate information? Is source material properly cited and documented in a standard format?
List of topics
Select one of the topics below. Choose a side – agree or disagree and support your points with research. If you are passionate about a topic that is not on the list, seek your professor’s approval before moving forward with your paper.
1. Is gun control an effective method of reducing crime?
2. Is death penalty justified?
3. Do you believe euthanasia (assisted suicide) is right?
4. Torture is never justified.
5. Smoking in public places should be banned.
6. Legalization of marijuana in some states is wrong.
7. Production and sale of cigarettes should be made illegal.
8. Cross-cultural marriages contribute to racial tolerance.
9. Single-parent children behavior is different than that of children with both parents.
10. Women are less engaged in criminal activity than men.
11. Young people are predisposed to negative influence because they are more rebellious by nature.
12. Sexual content on TV has a negative impact on teenagers.
13. Homeschooling is an ideal way to obtain quality education.
14. Forests are the lungs of the Earth. Should rainforests destruction be prohibited?
15. Should countries drill for oil in protected areas to reduce gas prices?
16. Global warming is a myth.
17. To what extent are electric cars a solution to global pollution?
18. Media influence the female perception of the body image.
19. Violent video games directly correlate to violence in schools.
20. Domestic terrorism is not really an overwhelming issue in America.
21. A border fence will solve the dilemma of immigration.
22. Cyber-attacks are a vital intelligence tool for all countries.
23. Sex orientation is determined in childhood.
24. The capital punishment is a crime.
25. The humans are the main causes of a climate change.
26. Euthanasia should be allowed.
27. The U.S. Supreme Court should allow the federal, a state, or a local government to ban same-sex marriage.
28. The ways to solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict exist.
29. Defending yourself should be a constitutional right under the Second Amendment.
30. Illegal immigrants shouldn’t be put in prison and forced to work to pay for their upkeep.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more